Doll Collector ClubMini Dollfie Dream?

• babey
    babeyRegular Boarder • lv6
    Offline4 respuestas
    Hace 9 meses
    hi, i have had some resin BJD for a few years now, but always wanted to get a MDD. any advice on where to buy, best options to buy, average price range, etc? i have checked volks website but it always seems as though the parts i would like to purchase is out-of-stock when i check. is this a frequent occurrence? i am also curious, how is the care routine? i am very used to figures or just letting my dolls sit in the closet for years... lol. some help would be super appreciated! :D ty
  • Einn
    EinnRegular Boarder • lv10
    Offline5 respuestas
    Hace 9 meses • Modificado Hace 9 meses
    Since you have resin BJD for a few years you're probably already aware of their basic care and customization possibilities. The same + some extra care goes for vinyl dolls.

- Store/display out of sunlight
    - Vinyl stains SO MUCH EASIER than resin! Your own clothes or dirty hands can stain it if it touches them. Some of Volks black clothes can stain a doll within 1 hour. Use protective full body suits and/or protective tape and avoid keeping your dolls in dark or colorful clothes too long. Be aware of thread color even on light clothings, if a white item has black threads it can stain. If you do get stains it's pretty easy to treat but it takes some time (look up DD stain removal guides).
    - An official new Volks doll that comes with eyes in has them hotglued in instead of using putty. You can find guides how to remove the glue to change eyes and pose them.
    - Joints can arrive loose or loosen up over time, there are screws you can tighten up or put some nail polish on the joint pegs. Guides/videos exist for this.
    - If you make your own face ups, vinyl is a bit more picky with sealant. Testors Dullcote and MSC are good, others can become sticky.

To get an MDD you can either buy their Standard model Liliru (comes with makeup, basic clothes etc) or buy the body and head (DDH-01 and DDH-10 are most common for MDD) separate and make/commission face up just like you would with BJD. Just make sure you buy the same skintone (Flesh or Semi White).

Volks has their japanese international site shop but also a volksUSA shop. Stock varies and I'm not sure when they do restock, but standard parts and dolls should always be available every now and then.

There are some "Volks Friends Shops" also like Papattes (EU), Sakura Dreams (UK), Funz Square (SG), Tokyo Otaku Mode... Full list: dollfie.volks.c...

Volks offline stores in Japan also offer "Dream Choice" and "D'Coord" special dolls that you can decide how they look based on a menu of options (DC) or it's a coordination they put together (coord). These need you to either be there in person or use a proxy service. DC offers tan skin during April-Sept and Semi White during Oct-March, alongside with Flesh at all times.

Then there are plenty of places like facebook, mandarake or yahoo japan auctions to get secondhand full dolls, bodies or heads too. Do note that Volks now has a new "DD-f3" body with some improvements and many secondhand dolls might not have that body.

The DollDreaming forum is a great resource for further DD info, but I hope this helped. :)

I hope you can find a nice MDD! I have more resin BJD but fell in love with vinyl dolls after impulse buying a Dollfie Dream to customize it and now I want only vinyl in the future haha. They're light and easy to pose and clothe since you can just remove parts easily.
  • babey
    Offline4 respuestas
    Hace 9 meses
    thank you so much! this is so in-depth and helpful, and now i'm not too intimidated to finally get into vinyl dolls. i knew about the staining being bad, but i had no idea it went to even the extreme of thread staining! i'll keep my eyes peeled for auctions in the future. i don't know if you know of culur theory doll, but i just managed to find one so i'll be out of commission for doll collecting for a while LOL! it seems like it'll be a very cool switch-up from the regular resin though!! azone is very fun to mess around with and only further increased my want for an MDD.
  • Einn
    EinnRegular Boarder • lv10
    Offline5 respuestas
    Hace 9 meses
    babeyHace 9 meses#73201075-

No problem, glad to be of help!

The staining all depends on the fabrics and threads dye, but I would say always be safer than sorry! At least if a certain part stains, unless it's tan skin, then it should be fairly easy to buy a single replacement part/pair of parts unlike with resin.

I know someone who owns an Ery so I've had the pleasure to see a Culur doll irl!:) Definitely a good choice to go for that one then, since they're far rarer and way more limited than vinyl dolls! That's the relief with at least Volks DD, even limited edition dolls you can find fairly easily secondhand. Vinyls have been way less stress for me as a buyer. ^^'
  • babey
    Offline4 respuestas
    Hace 9 meses
    totally agree! better safe than sorry, for sure! especially when dolls like this are so costly... i am always afraid to even move mine around because i don't wanna accidentally destroy 'em.

as for Ery, i've been looking for around 2 years and finally found someone selling. i got lucky enough and got a V1 from a WTB post that i'd jokingly made, since i didn't expect a single reply. but it's awesome to hear that vinyl dolls are a lot easier to find. i hope to get into that part of the hobby eventually. ah, and again thank you so much for the info. it all seems less and less daunting!
  • Unirse al club para continuar el debate.
  • 5 respuestas